Find immediate answers to commonly asked questions about propane, mosquito repellents, attractants and other general questions about using our traps. Mosquito Magnet® can help you solve your mosquito problems with powerful propane mosquito traps.
General Info | Set Up | Start Up | Assistance | Parts
- How long should a 20-pound propane tank last?
- Can I use natural gas instead of propane?
- Can I use a gas gauge on my propane tank?
- Why do I need to purge my tank?
- Can I use an extension cord as a supplement to the Defender or Liberty model?
- My Mosquito Magnet® is dripping water, is that normal?
- Can Mosquito Magnet® be used in the rain or with sprinklers?
- What types of insects does the Mosquito Magnet® catch?
- How do I get additional assistance?
A: A full 20-pound tank will last approximately 21 days. It is not recommended to let the propane completely run out. We recommend having a second full tank on-hand to swap to reduce downtime.[back to top]
A: No. Mosquito Magnet® traps are designed to operate with propane. In cases where pure propane is not available then a mix of propane and butane may be used. In NO circumstance should natural gas be used.[back to top]
A: NO - A gas gauge is not recommended.[back to top]
A: New, previously unfilled, propane tanks can contain air, which will rise to the top when the tank is filled. This air may prevent the Mosquito Magnet® from starting until purged. When purchasing a new tank ask your propane dealer to purge the tank.[back to top]
A: The use of an extension cord is NOT recommended.[back to top]
A: Yes. The liquid you may see dripping from your unit is condensed water vapor. This is a byproduct of the catalytic conversion of propane and oxygen to carbon dioxide and water vapor and is caused by atmospheric temperature differentials. This will not impede the operation of your unit in any way.[back to top]
A: The Mosquito Magnet® is designed to operate under normal moisture conditions, including rain and sprinklers. However, use caution that your sprinkler or hose does not target the unit directly as this may cause damage to the unit.[back to top]
A: The Mosquito Magnet® attracts and captures mosquitoes, black flies, no see-ums, and midges. Using our Lurex3™ attractant will also attract and help capture the Asian Tiger mosquito where it is prevalent.[back to top]
A: There are several steps you can take:
- Click here for online product assistance.
- Contact us.
- Call 800-953-5737 Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00 PM EST .
- When should I start my Mosquito Magnet®?
- What should I do before I start my trap?
A: Blood-seeking insects such as mosquitoes and no-see-ums start becoming active when the temperature reaches 50 degrees for several days. Eggs, along with any adults that have survived the winter, will begin hatching or become active as the weather warms up.
The closer the temperature gets to ideal (high 70's and 80's), the more mosquitoes will be active. Capturing the new insects before they begin populating your yard and laying more eggs is the best approach, so be sure to set up your mosquito trap before then.[back to top]
NOTE: Always use caution when reviewing or cleaning the suggested areas. If the trap was not properly stored, other insects and animals could inhabit the trap.
A: Steps to set up your mosquito trap:
- Determine where the mosquitoes are breeding - The Mosquito Magnet® must be located between the breeding areas (standing water, bushes) and the 'people areas' (patio, deck) in order to capture the mosquitoes at their source, BEFORE they get to you.
- Place the trap away from people areas - Set up the mosquito trap as close to the breeding areas and as far away from the activity as possible. The biting insects will be attracted to the trap and not to you.
- Place the trap upwind from the mosquito breeding area - Mosquitoes fly upwind looking for a blood meal (you). After a female mosquito bites a human, its weight is doubled; the mosquito will float back downwind to the resting area.
- Set up the mosquito trap in an open area, not in high grass or plants - CO2 is heavier than air, therefore it stays close to the ground. The mosquitoes will follow the CO2 plume to the trap. If its placed in high grass the flow of the plume will be impeded and the mosquitoes won't find it ...they'll find you!
- Place trap in the shade - Mosquitoes don't like the heat of the direct sun. As the sun sets, mosquitoes come out of their resting places.
- Although we realize that all yards are not the same, and it may be impossible for some people to meet all of the above guidelines, we recommend that you try and meet as many as possible. If you have questions about trap placement, try our Interactive Placement Assistant.
- Check for and clear any dust, pollen, spider webs, or other debris from the following:
- Plume tube
- Side screens
- Bug bag door compartment
- Replace the net if its pores are clogged or it's ripped or warped.
- Securely close the net bag door. If the door isn't closed properly, the airflow is decreased and mosquitoes may escape.
- If the trap is running, you can use a small piece of tissue to test the intake (trumpet) and output (plume tube) of air.
- Visually inspect the regulator and gas hose for any visible signs of damage from animals. Replace the regulator and hose if there is any damage.
- Disconnect and reconnect the regulator from your propane tank to confirm the connection is secure.
- Your tank may be empty. You can connect the tank to your grill to see if it contains propane and is disbursing from the tank. A full tank weighs about 40 lbs. and an empty tank weighs about 20 lbs.
- We recommend starting each season with a new tank of propane. This will allow the propane and attractants usage to be on the same schedule.
- Read more on Propane Tank Tips.
- For corded models (Defender & Liberty), check the following:
- Check the connection into the trap to make sure it's fully inserted into the proper slot.
- After unplugging from the source, look for damage on the cord (i.e. lawn mower; rodent, etc)
- If you are using an extension cord(s) or if other items are using the same outlet, there may not be enough power being allocated to the trap. Try powering to a dedicated outlet.
- For cordless models (Liberty Plus), check the following:
- The battery was charged for more than 24 hours. If this was done and the battery still does not have power, check your power supply or order a new one.
- If your trap shut off after the propane ran out, the battery will need to be recharged.
- Please call customer service 800-953-5737 if you need further assistance.
Is the attractant been installed correctly? If unsure, instructions are available.
- Change the mosquito attractant every 21 days for optimal performance. You can order additional attractant at Mosquito Magnet® Store.
If you have additional questions about how to set up your mosquito trap, feel free to contact customer service at 800-953-5737. A properly set up mosquito trap should begin trapping and killing mosquitoes immediately.[back to top]
Our goal is to make your Mosquito Magnet® user experience as positive as possible and to make our state-of-the-art mosquito defense machine completely user-friendly. With this is mind, we have endeavored to make the process of troubleshooting your Mosquito Magnet® mosquito control trap easy to eliminate any frustration. We understand that when you use any machine for the first time, even one as simple to use as Mosquito Magnet®, it takes a little time to become familiar with its multitude of useful features, and even to understand how to start your mosquito trap.
Have Questions About How to Start Your Mosquito Trap?
We have tried to compile a library of frequently asked questions and their respective answers about starting your mosquito trap, as seen below. If the easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions found in the product manuals or the online virtual startup demonstrations do not resolve your issue, you can get additional assistance by contacting our knowledgeable and friendly 360° Customer Support Service staff. You’ll be able to communicate with a live person you can access by email or phone. You can also leave a message by using our offline chat feature if you prefer.
After all, the sooner you know how to start your mosquito trap, the sooner you will experience the mosquito killing power of the Mosquito Magnet® in your yard.
Frequently Asked Question and Answer about starting up your trap
Q: How do I start my trap?
A: Your owner's manual has step-by-step instructions for starting your trap. Additional support resources available here by trap type:
Troubleshooting Mosquito Magnet® Traps
Even though Mosquito Magnet® is an excellent way to control mosquitoes throughout the warm-weather season while allowing you to take back your yard from these relentless, disease-carrying flying pests, we understand that you may need a little help with your device from time to time. And with a quality product like Mosquito Magnet® that offers so many useful features, it can take a little time to learn about them all and how to use them effectively. We also understand that in the beginning, troubleshooting mosquito traps may be necessary to get them up and running.
Taking the ‘Trouble’ Out of Troubleshooting Mosquito Magnet® Traps
Fortunately, we’ve made the process of troubleshooting Mosquito Magnet® traps easy. In addition to the easy-to-follow setup instructions that are included with your mosquito control system, you’ll have complete online access to information on our website where you can obtain valuable information such as the steps to follow before starting your trap.
Check Out Our List of FAQs for Tips on Troubleshooting Mosquito Traps Have questions about troubleshooting Mosquito Magnet® traps? Want to know more about how your mosquito trap operates? We have tried to compile a library of frequently asked questions and their respective answers. In many cases, these FAQs will provide all the information you need for troubleshooting mosquito traps quickly and effectively.
Q: I have a trap that does not start or is not catching mosquitoes. What can I do?
A: There are several steps you can take if this happens:
- Review the "What should I do before I start my trap?" section for tips on what to look for before operating a trap.
- Read the troubleshooting directions and animations specific to your trap.
- Contact customer service for additional troubleshooting assistance and service options.
Protect your family, pets and guests from disease-carrying mosquitoes with a Mosquito Magnet® trap - the leading long-term, scientifically-proven mosquito control solution.