If you’re like most people, you don’t even think about mosquito control until the hot weather arrives. However, the real mosquito season begins much earlier. Mosquitoes will appear whenever the temperature rises above 50°F – it doesn’t matter if it’s spring, summer, winter or fall. As a result, your mosquito control efforts should be a year-round effort and that should start with proper mosquito trap placement.
For CO2 Mosquito Traps, Placement is Key
The Importance of Early Mosquito Trap Placement
Using a Mosquito Magnet® CO2 mosquito trap will help to disrupt the mosquito breeding cycle in your area and dramatically reduce the mosquito population on your property throughout the normal mosquito season.
While the trap will begin to lure, capture and kill mosquitoes immediately, it takes approximately four weeks to break the breeding cycle. To take full advantage of your CO2 mosquito trap, have it in place before temperatures hit 50°F. Once the temperatures stay consistently above 50°F, turn your trap on an let it do its work.
Where to Place your CO2 Mosquito Trap
Mosquito Magnet® has designed its CO2 mosquito traps to attract mosquitoes and other biting insects, which, in turn, keeps them away from you, your family and your pets. With that in mind:
- Place your trap in an open area that’s away from vegetation and other obstructions.
- Place your trap between you and standing water, such as a pond or marsh.
- Place your trap between you and heavy vegetation, such as a meadow or a stand of trees.
- Place your trap away from heavily populated areas, including households, schools, and outdoor businesses.
- Place your trap in a shaded area.
- Place your trap upwind of a known (or suspected) mosquito breeding area.
- Place your trap in a high spot on your property, but not too high.
Where NOT to Place your CO2 Mosquito Trap
Your mosquito trap produces a scent and thermal signature that attracts the mosquitoes from a distance. To make this bait work properly, you need to follow the rules of trap placement. With that in mind:
- Don’t place your trap under or on a deck.
- Don’t place your trap in a home, shed, garage, barn or other closed structure.
- Don’t place your trap behind a retaining wall.
- Don’t place your trap in a low spot.
- Don’t place your trap on your roof.
- Don’t place your trap in thick vegetation.
- Don’t place your trap in the water.
Useful Mosquito Fighting Tips
Proper mosquito trap placement will greatly enhance the bug-catching benefits provided by your Mosquito Magnet®. Still, you can do even more to curb the mosquito population, including:
- Inspecting your property for unexpected wet areas.
- Emptying containers that hold water.
- Removing unneeded objects and trash that may hold water after a rain.
- Circulating stagnant water that collects in ponds, water troughs, food dishes, and birdbaths.
Should You Move Your Trap?
Your trap may need to be moved as conditions change on your property. Here are some things to consider:
- As the weather gets hotter and you and your family begin to spend more time outdoors, you may need to place your trap in a new location.
- Choose a spot between the breeding ground and the areas where people gather on your property, keeping it at least 30-40 feet away from areas where you expect a lot of human activity (adjusting its placement a few days before your big Fourth of July barbecue is a good idea).
- Mosquitoes are not fond of direct sunlight, so pick a spot that remains shaded during the heat of the day (this shaded area may change as trees develop and then lose their leaves).
- Mosquitoes travel upwind in search of a meal, so if the wind patterns are known to shift in your region, you may need to move your trap from time to time to ensure it remains upwind from the breeding area.
Help from Mosquito Magnet®
Use this information about mosquito breeding and mosquito trap placement to keep flying pests away, from the start of the season until the end! You can learn even more about these annoying insects by joining Mosquito Magnet® on Facebook.
As you place your order, sign up for the Mosquito Magnet® E-Newsletter for more ideas on battling the biting insects plaguing your property and tips for using your trap. Also be sure to take advantage of our Rewards Points program, which gives you money back for future purchases.