Mosquito-Prevention Organizations That Deserve Your Support
Dangerous mosquito-borne diseases pose significant health problems in many parts of the world. According to the CDC, malaria alone is responsible for more than 500,000 deaths each year, primarily in the sub-Saharan African nations. Other known mosquito-borne diseases include dengue fever, yellow fever and Chikungunya. The arboviral encephalitides family of mosquito diseases encompasses many forms of encephalitis, including West Nile virus.
Joining the Fight Against Mosquito Diseases
The good news is that extensive progress is now being made in the fight against mosquitoes and the serious diseases they carry. An especially promising breakthrough occurred in July 2015, with the European Medicines Agency’s approval of Mosquirix, the world’s first effective malaria vaccine. Aside from this new vaccine, there are also a number of global humanitarian organizations that are doing excellent work in helping to prevent and control mosquito-borne diseases in various parts of the world. Here’s a list of some of the more prominent organizations:
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation — This organization, established by the Microsoft founder and his wife, has committed $2 billion in grants toward malaria prevention and control and has enacted a comprehensive multi-year malaria eradication strategy. The foundation also provided more than $200 million in financing for the development of Mosquirix.
- World Health Organization — The WHO is actively involved in the efforts to prevent mosquito-borne diseases around the world. The WHO Global Malaria Programme is designed to support malaria control and elimination through policy development and implementation, monitoring the global progress of various malaria control initiatives, identifying threats to malaria control efforts and making recommendations for new courses of prevention activities.
- Nothing But Nets — Nothing But Nets is an organization that partners with WHO, UNICEF and the UN Refugee Agency to create awareness and raise funds to fight malaria in Africa. Through donations, the organization is able to send insecticide-treated bed nets (ITNs) to third-world countries heavily afflicted by malaria. The netting is used to create a protective barrier around sleeping areas. According to Nothing But Nets, in high coverage areas, bed nets can reduce the incidence of malaria by 90%.
- Mosquito Research Foundation — The mission of the MRF is to fund research efforts that enhance mosquito control activities around the world, with the ultimate goal of eradicating mosquito-borne diseases. Current research projects include exploring the impact of temperature on the transmission of the West Nile virus by Culex mosquitoes, and the evaluation of carbohydrate sources in yeast-fermentation CO2 generators of mosquito surveillance.
- Malaria No More – Malaria No More (MNM) is a worldwide organization committed to eliminating mosquito-transmitted malaria deaths in children. With the help of financial contributions, MNM has been able to provide approximately 5.4 million mosquito nets that have resulted in a 58 percent decline in child malaria deaths in many parts of Africa since 2000. MNM also fuels advocacy efforts to engage global leaders in the fight against mosquito diseases.
Getting Involved in the Fight Against Mosquito-Borne Diseases
Each of these worthy organizations can use your help in the ongoing battle against mosquito diseases. Many have already made great strides toward reducing the occurrences of malaria and other serious afflictions. Feel free to contact your organization of choice to make a financial donation or see how you can contribute to the cause in other ways.
While it’s great to help organizations fight mosquito-borne diseases across the world, don’t forget to limit the chances of contracting a mosquito disease on your own property. A Mosquito Magnet® trap is an extremely effective mosquito control tool, as it can dramatically reduce the mosquito population over the course of the season.